Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society
Member since 1985
Indomitable cannery in Steveston fishing boom becomes historic site
More than 100 years ago, a long line of canneries lined the waterfront of Steveston, a small fishing village in BC. Today, one building remains: the Gulf of Georgia Cannery.
Built in 1894, the cannery operated for 85 years. Over that time it operated as a salmon cannery, a raw fish depot, and a herring cannery and reduction facility as well as offered net repair services for fishermen.1 Up until 1902, the facility was known as the “Monster Cannery” and was a leading producer of canned salmon among 15 canneries that occupied cannery row on the Steveston waterfront.